[Update – 10/18/12 – see in depth interview in The Philadelphia Review of Books: “A Reactionary Clearcut”
[Update: 1/12/12 – see the Morris Daily Record’s “I Believe” series:
[Update: What they say about Mr. Wolfe:
- “Kudos to Bill Wolfe. We heard all kinds of testimony over these three meetings. But the one that stuck in my mind is [Bill’s testimony] that there’s no guarantee that they’ll be no deterioration in the State’s water quality standards if there’s development in the first 150 feet of buffer of C1 streams. That’s the critical missing legislative intent item for me. ~~~ Bob Smith, Senate Environmental Committee Chairman (6/16/16 – vote to pass SCR 66).
- Mr. Wolfe raised some very interesting points in his presentation to the committee this morning,” Wallace said (former NJ Supreme Court Justice John E. Wallace, Jr., Chairman of the Joint Legislative Committee on Ethical Standards – Press Of Atlantic City 11/18/14)
- “I’m not afraid to listen to Bill Wolfe when he has a good idea,” [Senate Environment Committee Chairman] Smith said. Wolfe says he would like the Legislature to take a stronger stance with a bill to require action by the DEP. ~~~ Kirk Moore of the Asbury Park Press story on 9/27/10
- “Don’t talk to him [Wolfe], he’s the enemy” ~~~ Tom Gilbert, Keep it Green Coalition (2014)
- DEP spokesman Larry Ragonese declined to comment Tuesday, saying the agency does not respond to Wolfe as “a disgruntled employee.” (Asbury Park Press 7/15/14)
- [DEP spokesman Larry] Ragonese called Wolfe “completely ridiculous and irresponsible” for his comments. (about Bulls Island) Hunterdon County Democrat (3/15/12) – get the facts on that story here and see just who was “ridiculous and irresponsible’.
- “Let me first state that I agree with environmental activist Bill Wolfe when he argues that the state Department of Environmental Protection should drop its plans to cut down all those graceful old sycamores at Bull’s Island Recreation Area.” ~~~ Star Ledger columnist Paul Mulshine
The D&R Canal Commission voted to block the DEP clear cut plan on Bulls Island. So it was DEP’s clearcut plan the was “ridiculous and irresponsible”. !!!!
- “I resent Bill Wolfe saying it because he doesn’t know what we do.” ~~~ Pinelands Commission Executive Director Nancy Wittenberg (7/13) (listen on tape)
* In case it is not obvious, I intentionally posted the criticism from Gilbert, DEP press hacks, and Wittenberg because I am proud of it, the same way FDR was proud of the hatred of the economic royalists:
“They are unanimous in their hate for me–and I welcome their hatred.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9yoZHs6PsU
This site will focus on important stories that are being ignored or misrepresented by the media. I’ll do traditional muckraking to hold the bad guys accountable; expose the lies and self serving spin of government officials and politicians; and explore how the failures of government, media, AND well meaning environmental organizations contribute to the problems we face. I’ll also have some fun posting landscape photo’s I shoot.
I have been involved in New Jersey environmental policy circles for more than 25 years. Most recently, in 2005, I founded and directed the New Jersey Chapter of Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER), a national non-profit alliance of local, state and federal scientists, law enforcement officers, land managers and other professionals dedicated to upholding environmental laws and values: www.peer.org
Prior to founding NJ PEER, I served 13 years as a planner and policy analyst for the state Department of Environmental Protection (1985-1995; 2002-2004), for six years as policy director of Sierra Club’s New Jersey Chapter (1996-2002); and at Pew Environment Group as the Mid Atlantic States Manager of Pew’s “end overfishing campaign”. I received a bachelor’s degree in environmental science and public policy from Harpur College at SUNY Binghamton (1983), and attended Cornell University’s graduate program in city and regional planning (1983-1985).
While at DEP from 2002-2004, I led the team that expanded the Category One Program and developed the 300 foot wide Category One Buffers initiative on over 2,000 miles of NJ waterways. This was based on a new integrated ecological assessment method for water-body anti-degradation designation under the Clean Water Act. I worked closely with Commissioner Brad Campbell to enforce the phosphorus surface water quality standard. I also staffed Governor McGreevey’s Highlands Task Force and wrote the DEP and environmental provisions of the Highlands Act. Shortly after leaving DEP, I was a consultant to the Highlands Coalition and led the negotiating team for the DEP Highlands Regulations.
While at DEP from 1985-1995, I: managed NJ’s RCRA Corrective Action program; co-researched & co-authored the Statewide Landfill Closure Plan; managed over $200 million in grants/loans to local recycling and material and energy resource recovery projects; staffed Governor Florio’s “Solid Waste Assessment Taskforce” which imposed a moratorium on incinerators, established a new source reduction, toxics use reduction, and lifecycle assessment driven materials management policy, and set the highest recycling rate in the country. In 1995, I was forced out of DEP as a whistelblower for exposing Governor Whitman’s efforts to suppress science regarding health risks of high levels of mercury in freshwater fish.
With Sierra Club, I worked with volunteers to kill the $240 million Mercer County garbage incinerator, block the Trenton/Hopewell sewer line; led the public campaign and authored the 1996 ballot question to amend the NJ Constitution to dedicate 4% of Corporate Business Tax proceeds (appx. $100 million/year) to environmental programs; authored the 1997 Watershed Management Act that established and funded NJ’s watershed management planning program; provided testimony to the US Senate in opposition to Christie Whitman as EPA Administrator; and served on numerous Legislative and DEP regulatory stakeholder groups.
Read more at SourceWatch page.
All photographs are mine (unless noted) and may be used on a non-profit basis with attribution.
You may contact me at: Bill_Wolfe@comcast.net
[End note: I get tired of updating the links on this page because the Christie DEP has attempted to erase the past. Those bastards personify Orwell’s “down the memory hole” Ministry of Truth.]