Home > Uncategorized > Wall Street Occupied

Wall Street Occupied

“There is a sweet spirit in this place” Cornel West, remarks to Occupy Wall Street  (listen)

Occupy Wall Street (10/7/11)

Occupy Wall Street (10/7/11)

[Updates and photos below]

The true American patriots remained encamped just off Wall Street, in a place they renamed Liberty Plaza. They remain gathered to protest the greed, power, and abuses of wealthy elites and powerful corporations (the 1%), who have betrayed the the rest of us (i.e. the 99%).

Through peaceful dissent, they seek to change the political climate, priorities, and direction of this country to promote social and economic justice. They seek the same “revolution in values” that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. called for, in denouncing the materialism, militarism, and racism that still haunts this country.

They are a diverse group of brave and committed people. The media ignores them, or falsely claims they have no message. Nonsense. Here are some images that carry the messages of the powerfully inspiring activism I saw going on there.

[Update #3 – 10/22/11 – I just came across this beautiful 10/11 essay by Chris Floyd – it expresses my feeling and thoughts so well, it is exactly what I would write if I were a writer. I just sent it to my kids – a must read: Changing of the Guard – the New Road of the Occupation Movement

Update #2 – My old friend Tom Moran at the Star Ledger hits a home run with this editorial, “Occupy Wall Street protesters asking the right questions“,  which expresses the right outrage about:

the grotesque economic injustice that has grown so stark in the last few decades.

But I had to send him a note to remind him that he was once a dirty hippie too!

Update: 10/9/11 – Paul Krugman at his best: Panic of the Plutocrats]

ows9

OWS2

ows3

ows4

ows5

ows6

ows7

ows8

ows10

ows11

ows12

ows13

be sure to read the message here The message here: “Work. Consume. Be silent. Die. I rely on your apathy. It’s costing the Earth.”
Categories: Uncategorized Tags:
  1. No comments yet.
  1. October 17th, 2011 at 14:49 | #1
  2. November 4th, 2011 at 00:22 | #2
  3. November 5th, 2011 at 12:15 | #3
  4. December 6th, 2011 at 08:54 | #4
  5. December 27th, 2011 at 15:43 | #5
  6. May 8th, 2012 at 20:59 | #6
  7. November 6th, 2012 at 09:59 | #7
  8. June 14th, 2015 at 18:17 | #8
  9. June 16th, 2015 at 16:48 | #9
  10. June 17th, 2015 at 07:02 | #10
  11. June 17th, 2015 at 15:31 | #11
  12. June 17th, 2015 at 19:32 | #12
  13. June 18th, 2015 at 09:15 | #13
  14. June 19th, 2015 at 06:50 | #14
  15. June 19th, 2015 at 11:59 | #15
  16. June 19th, 2015 at 16:36 | #16
  17. June 19th, 2015 at 20:46 | #17
  18. June 20th, 2015 at 02:23 | #18
  19. June 20th, 2015 at 08:04 | #19
  20. June 20th, 2015 at 19:01 | #20
  21. June 21st, 2015 at 15:56 | #21
  22. June 22nd, 2015 at 00:02 | #22
  23. June 22nd, 2015 at 23:13 | #23
  24. June 23rd, 2015 at 06:24 | #24
  25. June 23rd, 2015 at 11:15 | #25
  26. June 23rd, 2015 at 13:31 | #26
  27. June 24th, 2015 at 02:50 | #27
  28. June 24th, 2015 at 15:25 | #28
  29. June 25th, 2015 at 06:09 | #29
  30. June 25th, 2015 at 14:47 | #30
  31. June 25th, 2015 at 22:54 | #31
  32. June 26th, 2015 at 01:05 | #32
  33. July 4th, 2015 at 14:29 | #33
  34. July 5th, 2015 at 23:51 | #34
  35. July 6th, 2015 at 11:15 | #35
  36. July 7th, 2015 at 07:48 | #36
  37. July 7th, 2015 at 21:46 | #37
  38. July 7th, 2015 at 22:18 | #38
  39. September 9th, 2015 at 13:34 | #39
You must be logged in to post a comment.